Thursday, November 16, 2017

peaches and thorns

Peaches and thorns and beads, oh my.

(Tadah!)

Yes, these are the beads I was working on earlier this week.

You can see they're a bit lumpy, which is par for the course. I've never done the rosette of thorns or rosebud stitches before, so yay! Bead samplers!

Here they are with my slowly growing collection.

The border for the peach blossom bead was originally green, but then the bead spontaneously became super orange instead of the nice, light peach it actually is. Some frantic application of white thread later fixed the problem. I think.

In comparison, the thorn one was easy. It took me a few tries to get the rosette to work, but I figured out that I needed to reduce the number of spikes on the "crowns" from five to four. Viola, problem solved! So there's two messy bits and then the rest is all neat and pretty.

If anyone asks, it adds to the handmade charm.

All in all, fairly successful. I'd like to try more plant-themed beads after this, I've been on a flower language kick. Thorns mean "difficulty/severity" and peach blossoms can mean "gratitude," "hope to become married," or "longevity" apparently. The more you know.

3 comments:

  1. Love your beads. They are so original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! they're one of my favorite things to make :)

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous idea, these are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete